Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.
Advertising is Limited: If you know of a German Russian relevant publication available for purchase you may post information about that product on our forums but forum moderators will move or delete posts if they become repetitive.

Post subject: Re: Neudorf, Glückstal, Odessa region
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, no date on this map of the village. It is just titled "Plan von Neudorf/Odessa, Entw. v. M. Wegenmann". The book was published in 1975.

I can see "Doktor, Georg Jakob from Seasenheim, Hagenau, Als" and "Walz, Johannes from ?" in the "Pioneer Settlers" list of Neudorf on page 85 of this book. Also, based on a quick scan of the map on page 350 I can see at least 34 houses with "Walz", "Morlock" and "Doktor" families.

I have a copy and I would recommend purchasing this book. It was recommended to me by Dale Wahl many years ago when I inquired of him what the best "starter" set of books was for researchers who had Lutheran German Russian ancestors. There are 7 used copies on sale through http://www.abebooks.com/ at this time and I am sure other internet used book sites will have copies as well as GRHS.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:14 am 

Sounds like some great information, just what I was looking for!!! Thanks for the info on that! Johannes is my Great [x5] Grandfather. From the Death Records I found on Odessa3 he was born in "Neidlingen, Wue." (near Stuttgart) Maybe I can get that included on the next reprint (<-sarcastic tone). :D

Anyway, I found a copy on Amazon for $15, but it is so weird that so many people are charging ~$150 for it...sheesh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:44 am 

"Walz, Morlock, and Dockter. Other names I have found were Landenberger, Kapp, Guthmiller"
All these names and others can be found on my Hoffer web site:

http://www.remmick.org/Hoffer.Home.Site/index.html

Some of the families I've collected date back to the 1600s in Germany, France and Switzerland.

To improve my site, I'd love to place photos from those of you who have actually visited Neudorf. Please contact me at:

remmick@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:41 am 

remmick wrote:
"Walz, Morlock, and Dockter. Other names I have found were Landenberger, Kapp, Guthmiller"
All these names and others can be found on my Hoffer web site:

http://www.remmick.org/Hoffer.Home.Site/index.html

Some of the families I've collected date back to the 1600s in Germany, France and Switzerland.

I had looked through your site earlier, and yes, that is the same Dockter, and I found my descendant line on your site.

http://www.remmick.org/Hoffer.Home.Site/Page32.html
Karoline (#10) would be my Grandpa's Grandma. So the "Christina Morlock m. Christian Walz" you have listed is my Great-Grandparents.

Their entire story is listed here: http://thewalzfamily.com/ (Ran by my Uncle)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Curtieson wrote:
Anyway, I found a copy on Amazon for $15, but it is so weird that so many people are charging ~$150 for it...sheesh.

Yup, capitalism on the Internet at its worst. :) I see pricing like this frequently for rare genealogical hardcovers. It bears repeating that Google is the best tool for foiling these opportunistic sellers.... as I can see you are already aware. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 am 

Carolyn wrote:
Knowing where Moldova is, is big! A friend of mine lived there for a year teaching. Whenever she told anyone where she was going, she got a blank stare. No one knows where it is!

Funny though - when she told me, I lit up and said "Wow! Moldova! I want to come visit!" She looked at me and said, "You know, you're the only one of my friends to even know where the country is, let alone want to visit it!"

I got SUCH a kick out of this over the weekend. We were watching the movie Red (Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, big name movie from a couple years back with a sequel coming soon). Well, at the end, they go to do another "job" in another country...and it is Moldova! I laughed so hard as they were being mortared yelling out "I hate Moldova!".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:24 am 

[quote="morbeus"]Sorry, no date on this map of the village. It is just titled "Plan von Neudorf/Odessa, Entw. v. M. Wegenmann". The book was published in 1975.

I can see "Doktor, Georg Jakob from Seasenheim, Hagenau, Als" and "Walz, Johannes from ?" in the "Pioneer Settlers" list of Neudorf on page 85 of this book. Also, based on a quick scan of the map on page 350 I can see at least 34 houses with "Walz", "Morlock" and "Doktor" families.

I have a copy and I would recommend purchasing this book. It was recommended to me by Dale Wahl many years ago when I inquired of him what the best "starter" set of books was for researchers who had Lutheran German Russian ancestors. There are 7 used copies on sale through http://www.abebooks.com/ at this time and I am sure other internet used book sites will have copies as well as GRHS.[quote="morbeus"]

Who wrote Pioneer Settlers? Do you have an ISBN. I can't find it anywhere. I would be interested in checking out the NEUDORF information on this one!
Thanks for your help!
Justin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

justinehresman wrote:
morbeus wrote:
Sorry, no date on this map of the village. It is just titled "Plan von Neudorf/Odessa, Entw. v. M. Wegenmann". The book was published in 1975.

I have a copy and I would recommend purchasing this book. It was recommended to me by Dale Wahl many years ago when I inquired of him what the best "starter" set of books was for researchers who had Lutheran German Russian ancestors. There are 7 used copies on sale through http://www.abebooks.com/ at this time and I am sure other internet used book sites will have copies as well as GRHS.

Who wrote Pioneer Settlers? Do you have an ISBN. I can't find it anywhere. I would be interested in checking out the NEUDORF information on this one!
Thanks for your help!

Justin

Sadly, "Pioneer Settlers" is not a book, it is just the title of a one page list of Neudorf pioneer settlers. This list is found on page 85 in the book "Homesteaders on the Steppe" by Joseph S. Height. This is part of Chapter VII ("The Identity of the Pioneer Settlers") in the Height book. Five more pages about Neudorf including the Plat Map mentioned above are found on pages 348 to 352. Editions of this book available for borrowing can be found in http://www.worldcat.org/ and for sale at many online book selling websites as well as GRHS.