Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.
Advertising is Limited: If you know of a German Russian relevant publication available for purchase you may post information about that product on our forums but forum moderators will move or delete posts if they become repetitive.

Post subject: G-R Families in SE Saskatchewan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:52 am 
Site Admin

In 1921 my gr-grandfather. Rudolph GAUER, received a letter from Galicia pleading for assistance. It was sent to Langenburg, Sask but unfortunately he had passed away a number of years earlier. It was redirected to Winnipeg, Manitoba where he last lived by a man named DIETZ (one of the surnames from the Russian village of Nesselrode where my family emigrated from). I have researched the town of Langenburg and the rural municipalities of Churchbridge and Langenburg for any traces of my Rudolph living there but I have found nothing other than mentions of the DIETZ and RATHGEBER families who were both from Nesselrode. Anyone know more about the German Russian settlers in this South East area of Saskatchewan?

Post subject: Re: G-R Families in SE Saskatchewan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:34 pm 

Murray, I could put you in touch with a Rathgeber family from McNutt, SK, which is very close to Langenburg. A good friend, and former roommate of our older daughter is a born-Rathgeber. She lives in Regina now. Merv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Oh! That would be fabulous Merv. I would love to talk to them. I have a Rathgeber relative by marriage to my Dad's brother who is still alive and kicking so perhaps we can help each other. Can you email me contact info? THANKS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:30 pm 

Murray, I have no information for you on this topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:59 am 

Murray:

You are likely familiar with the University of Calgary site called Our Roots but just in case here is a link to the site.

https://cdm22007.contentdm.oclc.org/dig ... term/Gauer

I did a search on Gauer and it showed five publications with at least one mention.

Using the site is reasonably straightforward.

Up to the top right is a search box above Adavanced Search. This searches all the publications. You can use single or multiple words.

The results show up similar to the linked page above.

To open a publication double click on it.

Then to the right side you will see the various pages where the search term is found.

Clicking on this page opens the individual page. An image of the page is shown and if you scroll down there is an ocr of the text.

Many Saskatchewan and Alberta communities created history books for their area for the 7tth anniversary of becoming provinces. There are books from other provinces as well. Additional books are added all the time.

p.s. I did check the combination of Langenburg and Gauer but it came up with no results.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Kevin! I have not tried this resource yet. A couple of the hits are known family members that I have documented previously but it is good to see new sources!
One of the document mentions a Marlies Gauer and her daughter Daniela. This is a family I have never heard of before so I especially thank you for a new lead on my family in Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Since I originally posted this request I have learned that the addressing of this letter to Langenberg was very probably a result of very old information the sender had. I do not think my Rudolph Gauer ever resided in Langenberg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:28 pm 

This may be of interest in hunting down Marlies or Maryls Gauer and family.

HANISCH - Mrs. Herta Hanisch, a former resident of Jansen, Regina and Lipton, Saskatchewan, was called Home to be with her Lord on Thursday, January 14th, 1999, one day after her 88th Birthday. She will be lovingly remembered by her nephew and his wife: Guenter & Marlies Gauer of Esterhazy, Saskatchewan and their family, two sisters: Selma Kiene and Luise Stuebe, one sister-in-law: Alvira Scheele, all of Germany and numerous nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her husband Herman Hanisch in 1984. The Funeral Service was held at Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church in Kelowna, B.C. on Saturday, January 23rd, 1999 at 10:30 A.M. with Reverend James Buenting and Vicar Thomas Kersten officiating. Interment followed in the family plot at the Kelowna City Cemetery. As an expression of sympathy, those who wish to do so may send donations in memory of Herta Hanisch to the Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church Memorial Fund, 2091-Gordon Drive, Kelowna, B.C. V1Y 3J2. Funeral arrangements were made with BETHEL FUNERAL CHAPEL LTD., 5605-27th Street, Vernon, B.C. V1T 8Z5. (1-250-542-1187).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you again Kevin!

This should help me dig into this family. Guenter Gauer is also new to me but this gives me another clue. Perhaps Guenter and family are descendants of a Gauer family I found that settled in Ontario. That family has no connection to my Gauers as I believe they immigrated directly from Germany. In any case it's going to be fun trying to connect this new family to my known Gauers.