Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.

Post subject: Rhubarb
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:18 am 

Is rhubarb a typically German-Russian (or maybe Dakota) ingredient? Here in Seattle people never seem to know what to do with it. I get odd looks in the grocery store when I buy it. But I remember it as a fairly common thing when I was growing up. (Here in Seattle, but with parents both from NoDak)

Post subject: Re: Rhubarb
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

It was really common in Winnipeg, Man. I remember Rhubarb pie and Rhubarb wine every year. I don't remember it as a GR thing though. That was the Holopchi and Perogies. :) My mom made them from scratch and without a recipe so I am still struggling to create them myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:15 am 

Carolyn wrote:
Is rhubarb a typically German-Russian (or maybe Dakota) ingredient? Here in Seattle people never seem to know what to do with it. I get odd looks in the grocery store when I buy it. But I remember it as a fairly common thing when I was growing up. (Here in Seattle, but with parents both from NoDak)

It's SUPER common in Germany. They make rhubarb pies, tortes, jams, compots... you name it!

Another one is Kholrabi. We grew that in our garden in Washington. No other Americans seemed to know it. I think these two things are traditions that were handed down from the German times to the Russian times to the N. American times.

I read somewhere that the settlers actually took seeds with them when they migrated (each time). Does anyone have any more info about people actually transporting seeds?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

I remember my grandmother on my mother's Czech side from Dickinson, ND always made rhubarb wine. Was very tasty and had a pretty good kick too. Fortunately for me, she wrote out the recipe before she passed. I'll have to give it a try someday.

For years my mother made rhubarb pie which was delicious with several healthy scoops of vanilla ice cream to go with. I've already tried that recipe with good results. We also have a rhubarb crisp here which is great. - Rich

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:27 pm 

I don't know if it was ever especially known as a German or Russian type fruit, but I have grown up remembering the delicious Rhubarb desserts my mother (who was of German/Swedish origin) made into pies, crisps, etc. I have her recipes and have grown rhubarb plants in my yard and they are hardy plants that survive well, even with little watering, so maybe they did well in harsh and dry climates like the Dakotas. Rhubarb is delicious cooked up in rhubarb/strawberry pies, cobblers, and crisps, even steamed with sugar. Never heard of rhubarb wine before but sounds good. I have passed on my own rhubarb dessert recipes to my grown daughters and now they make them. It is a favorite of ours in desserts.

Joyce Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:54 am 

My mother makes the best rhubard pie and it's without strawberries. I'll have to ask her for it.

If I correctly recall it takes tons of sugar.

remmick

http://www.remmick.org/GRHouseRecipes/Page1.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:08 am 

I grew up in Montana and we always had rhubarb growing in our garden. My mother made rhubarb pie and rhubarb cake and my grandfather made rhubard wine. We grow it here in our garden in Washington state too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:26 pm 

Yes, we had rhubarb growing wild in our yard in So. Dak. Some people I've talked to here in San Diego have never heard of it. Here's a recipe I found recently that is super easy and very good! https://noshingwiththenolands.com/rhubarb-dream-bars/ I usually add some heavy cream to it and also use the German crumb topping,
300 g, 1.27 c flour
200 g, 1ΒΌ cup + 1 tbsp butter
125 g sugar, .53 cup - sugar
1 packet vanilla sugar

Of course, the rhubarb kuchen from Eureka, SD where I grew up is the BEST!

Thanks....Shelly Deibert Taskin