Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.

Post subject: Family Tree Maker?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

I'm using Family Tree Maker 16 and I am pretty unhappy with it. However, transferring all my family history over to a new program and learning that program also sounds like a big deal. Comments?

Post subject: Re: Family Tree Maker?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:15 pm 

I converted from old-style FTM to FTM 2009 back in (naturally) 2009. I hated it at first but I'm adapting (finally, 2 years later). And I think it has some good features.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:20 am 

I have used several genealogy programs over the years and tested others on a trial basis. However, I have used The Master Genealogist as my primary database since before version 1.0. In my opinion, it stands head and shoulders above the rest for serious researchers.

One of the areas where it really shines is in the area of importing data from other programs. GEDCOM imports are supported, but Wholly Genes (the developers of TMG) have patented the GenBridge software which imports data from many other programs in their native formats, bypassing the need for the "lossy" GEDCOM format.

Check it out at http://www.whollygenes.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Allyn;

I have tested TMG and I very much respect its features and usability but I found it a bit complex for my needs. I also tested Legacy Family Tree and I was also impressed with it but the complexity of these very powerful programs puts me off. I'm kind of looking for a program that has what I want... and nothing more! :) It's been a while, perhaps I should give the latest versions of these programs another look.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:05 pm 

Murray,

I understand where you're coming from. TMG allows you to work in introductory or advanced mode. The introductory mode allows you to do all the data entry and retrieval you need, without the overhead of the functions that you don't want to deal with.

Have said that, I also like RootsMagic a lot as my secondary program. I use it on my laptop, and it gives me a lot of capability for a relatively small footprint on my laptop. Whenever I travel, I load the latest GEDCOM file from TMG, and it has served me well. It has a lot of capability and a relatively clean interface. It used to be known as Family Origins.

http://rootsmagic.com/

Regards
Allyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:40 pm 

I am using the newest verision of Family Tree Maker and at first I did not like it. But now that I have used it for about 6 months I love it. It makes entering data so much easier and creating GEDCOMs is a piece of cake. It took be a week or so before I figured out how to make the page the way I wanted it but as soon as I figured that out, I was good to go.

Gayla Aspenleiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Does this latest version (2011?) have a really versatile book creator? FTM used to have a facility to create a family book directory from the data in your family database but it had lots of problems and I thought that feature had been removed from FTM 2006?

One of my goals is to publish a family history book and it would be great if I could integrate my family history database into the book without having to print reports and then paste/insert/copy them into a publishing program of some sort.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:03 am 

Murray,

I recently used RootsMagic to create a book of family data to share with my cousins. It was a joy to use, very easy, very flexible. I chose all the elements, including a cover with title & image, table of contents, etc. and generated the whole thing, saved it as a .pdf and mailed it off.

Allyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

allynbrosz wrote:
Murray,

I recently used RootsMagic to create a book of family data to share with my cousins. It was a joy to use, very easy, very flexible. I chose all the elements, including a cover with title & image, table of contents, etc. and generated the whole thing, saved it as a .pdf and mailed it off.

Allyn

Thanks Allyn, I will check RootsMagic out. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:48 am 

Murray, I have not tried to create a book using the new version of FTM but it is something that I would like to do. I just checked and the 2009 version of FTM does have a Help section on creating a new book.

Gayla