Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.
Advertising is Limited: If you know of a German Russian relevant publication available for purchase you may post information about that product on our forums but forum moderators will move or delete posts if they become repetitive.

Post subject: Neudorf, Glückstal, Odessa region
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 am 

Founded: 1809

German name: Neudorf
Ukrainian name: Karamanovo

Books:
* The Emigration from Germany to Russia in the Years 1763 – 1862 by Karl Stumpp (page 699)
* Auswanderung Aus Schwaben Nach Russland 1816-1823 by Dr. Georg Leibbrandt (copy available at the GRHS Library)
* From Catherine to Khruschev by Dr. Adam Giesinger (page 112)
* Homesteaders on the Steppe by Joseph S. Height (pages 71, 85, 193, 348, 350)
* The Glückstalers in New Russia and North America

Websites:
* Glückstal Colonies Research Association http://www.glueckstal.net/
* Neudorf website & forums http://neudorf.webs.com/
* Blog about Neudorf visit http://carolynschott.com/moldova/karman ... lueckstal/

1848 village history: http://odessa3.org/collections/history/link/neudorf.txt

Church records:
St. Petersburg indexes: http://www.odessa3.org/collections/stpete/gluc/

Census records:
* Black Sea German Russian Census Volume 1 by GRHS
* Glückstal 1858 Census by GRHS and AHSGR

Post subject: Re: Neudorf, Glückstal, Odessa region
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:00 pm 

I have gathered a lot of information and am continuing to do so. If you go to the link above, you can join my platform just for Neudorf. I am also compiling a list of births, deaths, marriages, arrivals and departures of Neudorf to get a complete demographic profile for the 136 years Germans were there. It would be great to work with you all!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:19 am 

Another family of mine, the Hoffers of Neiderseebach Weissenbourg, Alsace probably migrated from Oberseebach / Palatinate to Russia, settled in Neudorf / Odessa.

They can be found on my web site:
http://www.remmick.org/Hoffer.Home.Site/index.html

Like my other web sites, you will find hundreds of photos, stories and history among all my pages.

Names linked to this family are:
Senk
Schneider
Rott
Dockter
Remick =Roemmich
Bader
Derenberger
Fix / Vix
Gillg
Gaertner
Gilly
Heintz
Hoehn
Hutt
Landenberger
Metzger
Naas
Naass
Niess
Sauter
Thurhammer
Wanner
Wetzler
Wolf
Wolf
WOLFF

Yep, all are part of this family.

remmick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:12 pm 

There's a lot of us Neudorfers out there!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:35 pm 

A new descendant just checking in. I am very new to family research / geneology, but finding out a ton of information lately. I actually found Carolyn's website a couple of days back (and commented) but comments in that thread led me to 80% of the new information I have gathered lately. It has been incredibly helpful!

Family moved to Neudorf in the 1810s, and left for North Dakota in 1906.

Primarily we were Walz, Morlock, and Dockter. Other names I have found were Landenberger, Kapp, Guthmiller. Started chatting with a really nice lady in Kansas and she said Walz was very popular in their part also, it turns out that they are quite distant, but we share a Great (x5) Grandfather. Really have to applaud the work that Dale Walh did while he was alive. Nearly every thing I find has his name attached to it, it really is incredible.

I am very young in my information, but learning a ton and growing my knowledge. I now know where Moldova is...that is saying something, haha. Just waiting until that is the million dollar question on Millionare!

Last edited by Curtieson on Thu May 09, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:32 am 

Knowing where Moldova is, is big! A friend of mine lived there for a year teaching. Whenever she told anyone where she was going, she got a blank stare. No one knows where it is!

Funny though - when she told me, I lit up and said "Wow! Moldova! I want to come visit!" She looked at me and said, "You know, you're the only one of my friends to even know where the country is, let alone want to visit it!"

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:18 am 

I was also wondering, has anyone found a plot map of Neudorf? I am looking to just get a good idea of the landscape in the 1850s(ish). I noticed for other locations there are diagrams of where everyone in the village was situated. That is currently a goal, to find something like that.

Was Glückstal the 'parent' city or just a close by / sister city? The families really were out in the middle of nothing, haha. but I guess according to this, there were even smaller settlements.

http://www.grhs.org/chapters/gdo/gross_map_jpg.htm

EDIT: Duh...I just realized Glückstal is a city, but it was also a district...I missed that part earlier.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 pm 

I think there's a plat map as of 1940...I could swear I had a copy when I visited there. I'll have to dig around though to find it. I've moved since that trip and my genealogy stuff is in several different places around the house.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

There is a detailed plat map of Neudorf on pages 350/351 of Joseph S. Height's "Homesteaders on the Steppe" book. Other mentions of Neudorf in this book are found on pages 71, 85, 193 and especially page 348 which has village information, a population table over time and 3 pictures.

"Homesteaders on the Steppe" is available at many libraries (http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=world ... the+Steppe) and is for sale from the GRHS store.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 am 

Carolyn wrote:
I think there's a plat map as of 1940...I could swear I had a copy when I visited there. I'll have to dig around though to find it. I've moved since that trip and my genealogy stuff is in several different places around the house.

Good luck finding it, haha. My family moved out in 1906, so it won't be what I am looking for but might answer for someone else.

morbeus wrote:
There is a detailed plat map of Neudorf on pages 350/351 of Joseph S. Height's "Homesteaders on the Steppe" book. Other mentions of Neudorf in this book are found on pages 71, 85, 193 and especially page 348 which has village information, a population table over time and 3 pictures.

"Homesteaders on the Steppe" is available at many libraries (http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=world ... the+Steppe) and is for sale from the GRHS store.

Do you have the book handy? What year is that plat map? Maybe 1858 from the census data? I might just buy that... No Library within 100 miles has it.

Last edited by Curtieson on Thu May 09, 2013 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.