Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.
Advertising is Limited: If you know of a German Russian relevant publication available for purchase you may post information about that product on our forums but forum moderators will move or delete posts if they become repetitive.

Post subject: Villages in the West of Ukraine
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:09 pm 

Hi
I would very much appreciate any help posible please with some villiage names in the West area of the Ukraiane?

These may not be the exact names so any help with the nearest sounding or peoples opinion of what they think would be fantastic..

Ruprayk
Tomashevska
Miesek
Led
Bojder or Rojder

Kind regards

Karen

Post subject: Re: Villages in the West of Ukraine
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Karen,

Can you tell us how far west in Ukraine you are talking about? L'viv, Tarnpol, Kiev, or ??

I can't find those names in our BlackSea Village list (http://www.blackseagr.org/pdfs/village_list.pdf) or in my Galzien German village list (http://www.galiziengermandescendants.or ... _index.pdf). I looked in Galcia because that Austrian provinces covers a large part of the South West of the present Ukraine. Could your villages be in Volhynia or what is now Poland?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:37 pm 

Hi Murray

Thanks for your reply and looking into this for me. Well to answer your question im not too sure. My Grandmother lived on a farm with her 10 siblings in a village called "Taubivka" which was near to Zytomir to be a geek 50 256364 29 255791 SE of Korostyshiv. I have since found Tomasheska which is in the area of Cherkasy but im at a loss with the others. They were sisters of my Great Grandmother.
I was told that Ruprayk was on the South side but of where I dont know. Sorry to be vague.

Thanks again for all your help

Karen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

OK, Zytomir is in Volhynia so I am out of my comfort zone here but I will try to help.

I did some tweaking of the coordinates you gave to get "50,256364,29.255791" and that is just SE of Korostyshiv in Google Maps. Unfortunately the closest village to that location is "Holubivka" which isn't "Taubivka". :-(

Perhaps "Tsarivka" at "50.356523,29.251099" is your village? It is 19km east of Korostyshiv.

Take a look at http://www.volhynia.com/ for information on Volhynian Germans including links to a number of genealogy societies that include Volhynia in their interests. I can't see "Tomasheska" in the volhynia.com village list but I do see "Tomashowka". Alas, no "Taubivka" or "Ruprayk".

Another good resource for finding towns is JewishGen Gazetteer at http://www.jewishgen.org/communities/loctown.asp.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:53 am 

Hi Murray..

Thank you for your information. Regarding Taubivka/Toubowka yes it was changed at some point apparently to Holubivka.
Regarding the other villages I noted these are guesses from a print given from my Great Grandmother whilst under an interview. She had to write down her family tree & these villages were written down next to certain names of family members.
Ruprayk is a pure guess it is what the village sounded like when mentioned by a friend.
I very much appreciate any information or guidance you can give.

Kind Regards

Karen