Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.
Advertising is Limited: If you know of a German Russian relevant publication available for purchase you may post information about that product on our forums but forum moderators will move or delete posts if they become repetitive.

Post subject: Hartman/Hartmann Family
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:53 am 

Hello, I am new here. Thank you so very much for letting me join.
I am looking for information on Ferdinand Hartmann born January 1 1851 Russia probably in or around Krasna, Bessarabia, Russia. I Know of my great grandfather Peter, but would like to know a lot more i.e..... siblings (Peters), the village where they lived. Ferdinand's parents ect... Anyone??? Again thank you so very much for letting me join. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! Kim

Post subject: Re: Hartman/Hartmann Family
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:56 pm 

Hi Kim,
This looks like your Ferdinand here: http://www.blackseagr.org/blksea-db/get ... 3&tree=125
Unfortunately, there's not much on his parents or siblings and Catholic records are very difficult unfortunately. But maybe I can get you some more clues.

When I search for Hartmans in Krasna in the Black Sea German database, I see a lot of entries.
The Krasna Koblenz records: http://www.blackseagr.org/blksea-db/sea ... y=contains

EWZ records: http://www.blackseagr.org/blksea-db/sea ... y=contains

Neither of those show Ferdinand, but if you look through them, you might find some clues.

Here's a list of the original settlers of Krasna: https://www.bessarabien.de/upload/krasn ... rliste.pdf
I see a Hartman there, so you are likely descended from him, but this list doesn't show the connections.

Here is some data from the 1850 Krasna census.
Karl Harabura 39 - Wife: Katharina 51
Son: Christian 14
Stepsons: Johannes Hartmann 23, Matthias
Hartmann died 1839 age 9
Stepdaughter: Anna Maria Hartmann 24

From this 1850 census data, the only Hartmann that could be the father of Ferdinand would appear to be Johannes, but he's not yet married at the time of the census. I guess he could have gotten married after the census and had a child by January 1851, but that would obviously be pretty quick. :-) Still, this appears to be the only Hartmann in Krasna near the time Ferdinand was born.

The 1835 census has basically the same info, but calls Johannes "the son of the late Johann Hartmann."

Not a definite answer, but hopefully some clues for you!

Post subject: Re: Hartman/Hartmann Family
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:57 am 

I recently received a copy of the 1852 Krasna Catholic Parish Family lists. No Hartmann family listed. Living somewhere else in 1852, or not attending the Catholic Church? The person to contact for parents' names of Ferdinand would be Ted Becker of Minneapolis. tjbkrasna@gmail.com

Kim -- Your great-grandfather Peter -- is he the one born about 1890, son of Ferdinand and Julianna (nee Fenrich)? I have their children as Paulus 1875, Fabian 1877, Karl 1882, and Peter 1890, all presumably born in Krasna. All of these names will be in the Black Sea GR Database.

check out this website. https://www.krasnaproject.org/census/ Here Ferdinand's father is shown to be Johann / Johannes. Working with the Hartmann names in the Krasna database, I would conclude the following -- all this without any other documented sources. (Again, Ted Becker would be the one to contact.)

1. Johannes Hartmann(1798-1830) married to Katharina Heidrich (1799) -- This is the Katharina age 51 married to Karl Harabura in the 1850 census.
2. Their son Johannes was born 18 Sep 1827 in Krasna. -- this is the stepson Johannes Hartmann age 23 in the Harabura household in the 1850 census. I do not know the name of his wife.
3. Ferdinand born 01 Jan 1851, son of Johannes (1827) and unknown wife.
4. Peter born 1890, son of Ferdinand and Julianna Fenrich.

hope this helps. Mervin Weiss.