Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.
Advertising is Limited: If you know of a German Russian relevant publication available for purchase you may post information about that product on our forums but forum moderators will move or delete posts if they become repetitive.

Post subject: Hoffert family, Stefan family
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:37 am 

Hello all,

I am an adoptee, but I did find my birth family 25 years ago. I don't have a lot of information on my birth family except out to my first level grandparents, and what I have been able to glean from their obituaries. My Grandmother Dorothy Mae (nee Hoffert) was born in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada in 1918, to a Peter Hoffert and Dorothy Badge.

That is where things have stood for a long time (due in large part to my own apathy) however, my wife and I decided to take 23andme tests a month or two ago. When I got my results back, it said I had a 2nd cousin once removed with a very Russian sounding name. That was close enough to spur a new round of inquiries, and I soon found that this Peter Hoffert was, as my Grandmother referred to him, an "Odessa German". I have further heard from the daughter of my 2nd cousin once removed (my 3rd cousin) that she is ethnic German (and were subjected to Stalinist banishment from Ukraine to far east Siberia in 1942), although my mom's 2nd cousin's maiden name is not Hoffert but Stefan... But by my math, there was a common Hoffert ancestor.

So I am now looking for Black Sea German Hofferts, who are linked by marriage to a Stefan family, who I am guessing were also Black Sea Germans, but who stayed put... Did not migrate back out before the Bolshevik revolution. I am also eager to learn what I can about their *pre* Russian lives... when and from where did they leave Germany?

I think both Hoffert and Stefan names are represented on this site. So Hello!

Post subject: Re: Hoffert family, Stefan family
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Brian,
I checked my Galizien (Austrian Empire) records to see if your Hofferts stopped in Galizien on their way to Odessa as my ancestors did but I got no hits.
I then checked the "Our Roots" website at http://ourroots.ca/index.aspx. It is a great free archive Canadian local histories. Here is what I found:

http://ourroots.ca/toc.aspx?id=8645&amp ... 023fa74c18

This is the book "History of Odessa : to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the advent of Odessa's first settlers, and the 40th anniversary of the founding of the Holy Family Parish, Odessa, Saskatchewan, Canada, 1901-1954". If you look at page 11 of that book you will see a "Melchior Hoffert 60 with two children" was one of the original settlers of that town in 1903. Also, On page 23, there is a mention of a "Steve Hoffert, Livery" business in town. Could this be the "Odessa" your grandmother was referring to? If so then the "Holy Family Parish" church: should have records of births, deaths and marriages. You can contact them directly at "Holy Family Church, 2nd Ave, Odessa, SK" as I did with my Gauer's at Trinity Lutheran Church in Winnipeg. Local parish records are a great resource for information about families.
Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:38 am 

morbeus wrote:
Hello Brian,
I checked my Galizien (Austrian Empire) records to see if your Hofferts stopped in Galizien on their way to Odessa as my ancestors did but I got no hits.
I then checked the "Our Roots" website at http://ourroots.ca/index.aspx. It is a great free archive Canadian local histories. Here is what I found:

This is the book "History of Odessa : to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the advent of Odessa's first settlers, and the 40th anniversary of the founding of the Holy Family Parish, Odessa, Saskatchewan, Canada, 1901-1954". If you look at page 11 of that book you will see a "Melchior Hoffert 60 with two children" was one of the original settlers of that town in 1903. Also, On page 23, there is a mention of a "Steve Hoffert, Livery" business in town. Could this be the "Odessa" your grandmother was referring to? If so then the "Holy Family Parish" church: should have records of births, deaths and marriages. You can contact them directly at "Holy Family Church, 2nd Ave, Odessa, SK" as I did with my Gauer's at Trinity Lutheran Church in Winnipeg. Local parish records are a great resource for information about families.
Good Luck!

Murray, that is incredibly helpful!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:38 am 

morbeus wrote:
Hello Brian,

Good Luck!

Murray, that is incredibly helpful!

Thanks!