Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.
Advertising is Limited: If you know of a German Russian relevant publication available for purchase you may post information about that product on our forums but forum moderators will move or delete posts if they become repetitive.

Post subject: Black Sea Germans from Mecklenburg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:06 am 

The book, Mecklenburger in Osteuropa, by Martha Miller is a "Stumpp-like" index of families who came from Mecklenburg to Eastern Europe, including the Black Sea. And I think a lot of our ancestors who came to the Black Sea region via Poland may have come from Mecklenburg.

If you can't find a copy of the book, and want me to do a lookup on your family name (since I have a copy), let me know.

Carolyn

Post subject: Re: Black Sea Germans from Mecklenburg
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Carolyn,

Is this the Mecklenburg in northern Germany? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecklenburg)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:23 pm 

Yep, that's the one. Lots of Mecklenburgers roamed into Poland...and we know that lots of ethnic Germans in Poland ended up in the Black Sea area. I've been told that my Siewert family name is clearly a Mecklenburger name. And there are certainly lots of Mecklenburg Siewerts in this book. Unfortunately I can't tie any of them to my Siewert line that ended up in Neu Elft. But I hope someone else may be luckier!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:47 pm 

hello Carolyn, it looks like lots of folk have seen your message, but no one has actually taken you up on the offer. I certainly have not seen or heard of this book before - but would appreciate if you did look up my family name of Broneske. I do not know where it originates from and yes, my forefathers did leave from middle Poland for Paris, Bessarabia around 1814/1815. Thanks, but I won't be disappointed if you don't find anything. Cheers, Ray Broneske.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:37 pm 

Sorry Ray, I didn't see any names that resemble Broneske. But the book only covers people who came from Mecklenburg, so if your family came from another part of Poland, it would make sense that it wouldn't be there.

Carolyn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:22 am 

hi again, I did not expect you to find anything on my surname - I actually don't know where it originates, it could even be Polish that has been germanised. I have found instances if it being in the Czarnikau area around 1835 and on the Odessa3 library there is a reference to Hammer/Hawwer in the Prussian Land Register from the 1770's. Hammer is the correct place but I have no other link there.
Anyway, it was worth a try - and I do thank you very, very much for checking. cheers, Ray Broneske.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:04 pm 

Hey Ray,

I suppose you've already looked in all these places, but our Poland/Prussia page DOES have a bunch of links and suggestions for Poland/Prussia research. Don't know if it will help, but may be worth a shot. http://www.blackseagr.org/learn_poland.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:58 pm 

Hi Carolyn:

Would you mind taking a look in your book for Schwartz, Schewe or Scheie and a name that might begin with Muk and possibly end with owu, Muk..owu and Dolerstine? I am trying to read a death certificate of my GGG grandmother whose mother and father were born in Flatow, which I believe is in Mecklenburg.

I have hit a wall with these names.

P.S. I also emailed you on a separate post.

Thank you very much.

Kristine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:22 pm 

Carolyn:

There is one more name associated with my family, which is Buchholz. I believe this is the way it is spelled, although I've seen is spelled with tz on the end or even -holts. I think this is the census taker's fault.
Would you mind looking this name up for me in your Mecklenburg book?

Thank you again.

Kristine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:33 am 

Kristine - sorry to be slow to reply on this. There are a couple of Buchol(t)z names listed.

1) Poland, Warsaw area - Buchholz, Carl, Tischlergeselle, aus Friedland, gestorben 27 Jahre alt, im Hospiatl zu Warschau. 1829, 14, II (I assume the 14th of Nov.)

Riga - Buchholtz, Jacob Sauel, gebuertig aus Mecklenburg, dimittierter Stabsartzt, Staatsrat i.R., gestorben 87 Jahre alt, 1846, 5, IX, Riga (St. Jakobi Kirchebuch)