Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.
Advertising is Limited: If you know of a German Russian relevant publication available for purchase you may post information about that product on our forums but forum moderators will move or delete posts if they become repetitive.

Post subject: Surname LEIKAM from Obermonjou in Volga Rgion
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:31 pm 

My German Russian ancestors come from the Volga colonies and were among the emmigrants who settled in NW Kansas in the late 1870's. I also have relatives from the Black Sea colonies.

I was surprised to discover 11 individuals with the surname "Leikam" in a search of your site. Nine of them belong to two families originally from Obermonjou in the Volga region, who resettled in Taicy. These were the families of Alexander Leikam (b.1864 in Obermonjou) and Josef Leikam (b. 1894 in Obermonjou).

My earliest known paternal ancestor was Sebastian Leikam, b. 1727 in Bellingham, Germany, and settled in Obrmonjou, where he died after 1767. His eldest son, Sebastian (b. 1749) remained in Obermonjou, while his (only?) other son, Andreas (b. 1755) moved to Katharinenstadt in 1780, which is my ancestral line.

I have limited information on the Sebastian Leikam branch that remained in Obermonjour, but I strongly suspect there is a connection to the Alexander and Josef Leikam families that moved to the Black Sea region. I would appreciate any information that might help "connect the dots", This is the first indication I've found that any of my ancestral relatives moved to the Black Sea colonies from the Volga region.

-- Gary Leikam

Post subject: Re: Surname LEIKAM from Obermonjou in Volga Rgion
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:34 pm 

Andreas (b. 1755) moved to Katharinenstadt in 1780, which is ALSO my ancestral line. Please contact me. Thanks donmc@tctwest.net