Black Sea German Research

On-line forum for Germans from Russia Researchers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

We want to welcome you to our forums but also keep spammers from spoiling your experience.
To be able to add new Topics or Reply to existing Topics we ask you to please send us an email using the link at the top of this page introducing yourself, telling us the username you wish and describing your village and surname research. When we receive your email we will register you as quickly as we can so you will be able to post messages on our forums. Please remember, we're all volunteers so it could take a couple days to complete your registration. Thanks for your patience!
Your First Post will be Moderated: This means that the first time you add a new topic or reply to an existing topic your post will not appear immediately. One of our administrators will have to approve your post before it will be viewable by everyone. After that your posts will be viewable immediately.
Advertising is Limited: If you know of a German Russian relevant publication available for purchase you may post information about that product on our forums but forum moderators will move or delete posts if they become repetitive.

Post subject: Neuburg, Grossliebental District of Odessa
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:27 pm 

I have been researching family from Neuburg. Neuburg was founded in around 1804. Many of the founding families died from epidemics in the early years. There is a lot of information about this village in Book, The Emigration from Germany to Russia in the years 1763 to 1863.

I have two questions or areas of interest I would like to explore here. The first has to do with the village itself. The second has to do with my relatives from the village.

• Information on the Neuburg Village
    I am hoping (assuming things settle down before the end of the summer of 2014) to visit Neuburg this summer. (I planned this last year and had no idea what would happen this year in the Ukraine.) From an old city map (plan view) I found on the web, that is dated 1944, it lists the various homes/buildings in the village by family surname. The 1944 map shows 3 Schneider homes in different parts of the village. I know from my research that there were some other Schneiders in the village that came from a different part of Germany. I was hoping that someone might have seen something that would show which family unit went with which home especially at an earlier time. A perfect find would be a villiage map for say the 1812 or 1858 census that tracks the family number in the census with the lot/home on a map.

From looking at the 1944 map and other things I think I have seen the village on Google Earth. The old church is pretty obvious as to shape and location in the villiage. Novohradkivka, Ukraine is located near E 30 degrees 28 min, 52.32 seconds and N 46 degrees 21 minutes 25.92 seconds. Again, I am pretty sure it is Neuburg, but would appreciate any feedback from others. Also if you have seen any "older" village maps with family names, that would be a great help.

As my trip gets nearer I will post on this website and see if anyone has any buidings they would like me to take pictures of in Neuburg. No promises, but I will try.
  • Information on Neuburg relatives: Schneider, Fischer, Hoehn/Hohn
    My grandfather Karl Schneider was born in Neuburg. Three of his brothers Henry, Jacob, and Christian were also born there and all four of them moved to the United States in the early 1900's. The oldest brother Andreas Schneider remained in Neuburg.

Actually, Karl Schneider and Katarina Bitterman (or Bidermann) were married in either Neuburg or Eigenfeld, Imperial Russia. Katarina was born in Eigenfeld to Wilhelm Bidermann and his wife Magdalena (Baumgaertner). Karl and Katarina and three children sailed aboard the ship Seydlitz in Bremen and arrived at Ellis Island November 12, 1907. Then they went to Goodrich North Dakota to be with Karl’s older brother Christian Schneider and his family. My father was born in Goodrich ND.

Karl Schneider’s parents were Friedrich Schneider and Margarethe (Fischer). With the help of cousins, I have pretty good information on all of Frederich’s children that left Imperial Russia for the USA and grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc. Friedrich was the son of Andreas Schneider and his wife Friederkia.

I have traced my Schneider lineage back to an earlier Andreas Schneider family which was one of the founding families of the Evangelical/Lutheran village of Neuburg. Prior to that, Andreas and his family were from the kingdom of Württemberg, which is now part of Germany. According to two different editions of Stump’s Book, The Emigration from Germany to Russia in the years 1763 to 1863 there are two villages that are listed as where Andreas Schneider is from: Klein Sachsenheim, Ludwigsburg, Württemberg and Rotensol, Neuenburg, Württemberg. It could be either.

In the 1812 Neuburg census it lists as family 24 Andreas Schneider, his wife Friederkia, and his widowed mother Barbara. He is listed both as a farmer and as a “Saddler who works for himself and others.” Curiously, it also lists in family 27 (Friedrich Ruffner) Katharina Schneider as an orphaned daughter of Andreas Schneider. Her age makes her a sister to the Andreas Schneider in family 24. This has lead me to suspect that Andreas Schneider head of family 24 in 1812 had a father by the name of Andreas Schneider who died either on the trip to Neuburg or shortly after arriving in the village of Neuburg. If that is the case then the differences in the Stump editions might be where the father was born and the son was born or just a mistake. I suspect, but would like to know for sure if this orphaned Katharina Schneider married a Philipp Hoehn or Hohn.

In the 1858 Neuburg census Andreas is listed as being 62 years old and the head of family 12. Records I have indicate that his mother Barbara Regine Schneider died 1 Feb 1835. So if you are related, or have any information on this particular Schneider clan within Neuburg (there were at least two or three others in the village) I would love to share information with you.

Post subject: Re: Neuburg, Grossliebental District of Odessa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:49 pm 

I ventured alone by marshrutka (minibus)to the village of Neuburg where my great-great-great-grandmother, ElizabethSchäfer, was born and grew up in 2012. The village is about 45 minutes from Odessa and lies on the same road as Josephtal, Mariental, and Peterstal. The old church is still standing, albeit in derelict condition. It is located between the main marshrutka stop and the new church. The priest from the Russian church explained in Russian that the church was used as a school for a while before being turned into a "club" and now hasn’t been used for many years. He went on to explain that a family in the village owns the land and building and they have the keys, but I didn’t pursue trying to track them down.

I couldn't find a cemetery for the Germans, but my time was limited there. There are LOTS of German-built homes there.
Have a good time there!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:18 pm 

If you go to http://www.blackseagr.org/blksea-db/get ... 439&tree=1 you will see that Katharina SCHNEIDER married Philipp HOEHN.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:36 pm 

gdo_researcher wrote:
If you go to http://www.blackseagr.org/blksea-db/get ... 439&tree=1 you will see that Katharina SCHNEIDER married Philipp HOEHN.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you.